Darker Shades of Red

A repository for easy access of the project threads that get started in the Mod Development forum.

Postby Eccentricity on Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:30 am

The project forums are now located at the Darker Shades of Red Project Site. This thread will remain to post significant updates during the course of development. Most of the earlier images were very heavy and have been removed. There are a few images posted on page 5 and beyond.
Last edited by Eccentricity on Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Eccentricity on Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:35 pm

moved
Last edited by Eccentricity on Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Lone Knight on Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:44 pm

Hey Eccentricity, are you using some special helper program with the siegemax, or are you using siegemax at all, because these characters you made like Zarumask are a hell of a lot better than most of GPG's.
Unknown wrote:It remains to be seen if DS can rise back from its ashes and dissociates from DS2 and GPG.

Dungeon Siege Forever
Lone Knight
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Koko The Great on Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:04 pm

Hey Eccentricity how can you be working on the map if the game isn't even out yet? Other then that this project looks veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery promising. Hope you can finish a game this big. :thumbup:
It's better to die for something, then live for nothing.
Koko The Great
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Postby Eccentricity on Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:15 pm

"Lone Knight" wrote:Hey Eccentricity, are you using some special helper program with the siegemax, or are you using siegemax at all, because these characters you made like Zarumask are a hell of a lot better than most of GPG's.

moved
Last edited by Eccentricity on Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Eccentricity on Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:17 pm

Koko The Great wrote: Hey Eccentricity how can you be working on the map if the game isn't even out yet? Other then that this project looks veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery promising. Hope you can finish a game this big. :thumbup:

Sorry. That is one thing I cannot discuss yet... Suffice it to say that level design has commenced. We would not be building maps and models unless we were 100% certain that they are usable and that the time is not being wasted.

I will say this much though concerning nodes: If you build DS-1 nodes for a DS-2 project you can use them...regardless what you may have been told or read in the past. There is only a .1% difference in the two and it is easilly corrected.

It only looks like a big project. There are a few technical hurdles to overcome but the project really isn't that large on the "things to do" scale. It will be heavy because of the music and additional characters, nodes, etc but it will be easilly completed in the alloted timeframe. I have two NWN developers from Bioware who are ready to assist in their spare time if we happened to get into time trouble. I can only make two guarantees pertaining to this project:

1. It will ship and
2. It will ship

It will not, I suspect, appeal to the average DS player but only time will tell... I was very close to using the Half-Life2 source engine for this project just so there would be people to play it.

p.s. Sorry for the horrible page generation times on this first page. There was a lot to post on it. My apologies to the admins.
Last edited by Eccentricity on Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Brkopac on Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:53 pm

Hey Eccentricity how can you be working on the map if the game isn't even out yet? Other then that this project looks veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery promising. Hope you can finish a game this big.

Well lets look at this logicaly shall we?, Now a ds 2 map would require the use of a program that work for ds 2, now we think on what program builds maps "Siege Editor", then lets think of ds 222222, the conclusion I came to was "Siege Editor 2". Oh and nice site design mr tricity

Sam Brkopac
Last edited by Brkopac on Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join #siegetheday for deep philisophical discussion!
[10:37] <Omniscient_Colossus> hakuna ma tata!

Click here to get started
Brkopac
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Eccentricity on Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:57 pm

I do not not not not have Siege Editor II. :D It has not been released yet and won't be until DS2 ships.

"Brkopac" wrote:Oh and nice site design mr tricity

Thanks, though it is nowhere near finished. I am in the process of adding a flash media player as well as skinning all of those dreadful white components to match the site. The site will have a formidable media section, once completed, and will feature a flash Movie Player, Flash mp3 player, and an interactive flash image gallery. It is a PITA to add this stuff because of all the action scripts required for components in FlashMX 2004 Professional so don't look for it to be there this week. The nice part is that, once set up, flash sites are dirt simple to edit and keep updated.
Last edited by Eccentricity on Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Lone Knight on Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:23 pm

Will DSoR have NIS's and NPC's that contain voices? If so, this will be a monster download!
Unknown wrote:It remains to be seen if DS can rise back from its ashes and dissociates from DS2 and GPG.

Dungeon Siege Forever
Lone Knight
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Eccentricity on Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:57 pm

Lone Knight wrote: Will DSoR have NIS's and NPC's that contain voices? If so, this will be a monster download!

Yes. In fact, all characters in DSoR will have voices and, yes, it is going to be a monster download. Probably 700 MB on the low side. It could top 1 GB, but I doubt it. I am trying to not skate over into TC land but I may inadvertently do it anyhow.
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Dark_Mage on Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:32 am

It looks good-is the map based on places in the DS2 world, or is it one of your own?

As a sort of "prologue" to the game it also (hopefully) would give us an idea of the history of DS2, other than "Zaramoth's sword met Azunai's sheild and they both died and the whole world was ripped apart" or, in DS1's case, "A mule saved some miners and some legioniers became farmers"
Fire is creation and destruction...
Easter Eggs
Free Font Downloads at Dafont
Mageworld- the first real RPG to be created using the Dungeon Siege engine. download it here
Dark_Mage
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Postby Eccentricity on Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:44 am

Dark_Mage wrote: It looks good-is the map based on places in the DS2 world, or is it one of your own?

As a sort of "prologue" to the game it also (hopefully) would give us an idea of the history of DS2, other than "Zaramoth's sword met Azunai's sheild and they both died and the whole world was ripped apart" or, in DS1's case, "A mule saved some miners and some legioniers became farmers"

It will give lots of history for DS2 and I am even coordinating it with GPG. I am covering a period in time which preceeds what GPG is working on so I am on safe ground there. This story focuses on the "human" element of the characters. It focuses on emotional issues which GPG won't risk focusing on in a retail game.

Azunai's shield may have met Zaramoth's sword but what compelled him to get to that point? We could say that he is just a heroic ol chap and had a death wish or we could say that, as is often in real life, he was inspired by a higher motive. One of love for a woman. Why would loving a woman inspire him to fight The Unmaker? Well, if I told that, it would ruin the whole story. Azunai has some choices to make along the way. There is loads of dialog and several directions he can take along the way. If you play the game though, and I mean *really* pay attention and play it, you will feel what he is feeling. Then, by the time part 2 is released you will be ready to kick Zaramoth's *** too.

As for the map. You will start in the original GPG map and work your way into the new one. Of course, even the original map will have different buildings, etc. It is a different era, after all. The new map will be huge as well so you will essentially have access to a very large world with a few islands too. You might even have steerable ships if I am feeling generous and can work it into the time table. You will definitely have ships in the sequel!
Last edited by Eccentricity on Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Strider978 on Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:12 pm

Eccentricity wrote: I can tell you that we are looking into using a technique used by Half-Life2's developers which will enable us to build high-poly constructs and then reduce the tens of thousands of polys into a single poly. If we can accomplish this with DSoR you will see significant graphics and performance improvements over DS2.

You are trying to get DSII to handle normal maps? That would rock.....
Join #siegetheday to have great discussions and to learn about equestrian secrets
20:22] <Omniscient_Colossus> what never heard of a Quarter Horse?!
[20:22] <Shocked-> It's that ride in front of K-Mart right?
Click here to get started
Strider978
Warder
Warder

Postby Eccentricity on Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:20 pm

Strider978 wrote: You are trying to get DSII to handle normal maps? That would rock.....

Yeah I would like to but Jim and I discussed this at some length yesterday and it doesn't look promising. Of course, that isn't going to stop us from trying. It just means that it will be extremely difficult, at best. I would not look for this feature to be implemented at all and, if it is, it can be a pleasant suprise.
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Eccentricity on Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:48 pm

An image Jim sent me last night:
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Next

Return to Project Threads