Cat Mansion adaptions

A repository for easy access of the project threads that get started in the Mod Development forum.

Postby niceguy on Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:59 am

Hamkat no longer mod Dungeon Siege but did some time ago allow the community to use his works. This means that we can now use his work, or parts therof in our own mods, as long as we give him due credit.

This thread are about what we can do due to this, the goal should mainly be to modernize his mods so it can keep working for a long time to come, at least as long as someone play Dungeon Siege 1. For instance Iryan has created a version of his Adepts mod that support Cat Mansion by removing Non compatiple LOA armors and increace the characters size by 50%. This is an example of things that can be done. Maybe we should make a total compiation of all three Cat Mansion mods and put in Iryan's updates as well? Another idea would be to include a replacement for all hirable characters icons, like those Iryan use in his Adepts mod, but for all standard Icons, hirables and shopkeepers.

Map makers could also help by increasing the activation range of shopkeepers and such since I have noticed that some npc's cannot be talked to by an Cat mansion Character. They just don't seem to be able to get close enough. Another thing could be to include an small Cat Mansion adaption mod that overrides some of the maps npc's with alternative that use Cat Mansion specific items, like the Costumes mod's kimonos for instance.

For my own fun, I just made a compilation of all three Cat Mansion mods with Iryans Adepts mod. Now character skin selection works perfect, something that was buggy for some of the characters if the costumes mod where used as well. I will however not release that one of copyright reasons unless Iryan asks me to.

So, do you plan to add Cat Mansion support to your new map? Or maybe borrow some stuff, art or code? Please tell us if you have soething in mind.
Attachments
Utraean_female.jpg
Utraean_female.jpg (0 Bytes) Viewed 10048 times
I can also be found here: http://www.siegetheday.org
niceguy
Centurion
Centurion

Postby sjr on Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:29 pm

I have already taken a few skins and used them as armors, though with slight modifications (ie skin color changes), though I dont know if many of the ones I used would actually be seen or noticed at this point. More so done to have a bigger variety in the npc skin/armor looks. Plus the icons were already in it so no other work needs to be done with those if I decide to make it droppable/sellable. But more likely it will just be for background looks.
sjr
Moo Cow Disease

Postby iryan on Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:31 am

I have often thought about making a modification of the Utraean Peninsula with the Cat Mansion Mods in mine ( tentatively named Anime World ). I picked the Utraean Peninsula due to the fact that it already has a number of towns & I'm quite familiar with it (no surprise there). All towns would have drastically increased populations (Elddim would have over 100 npcs for instance), including walking characters & children.

However I only completed about 20% of it as I didn't know whether there would be any interest in a specialized map like this (it would have to be located in a custom folder as it would conflict with a lot of other mods as the Cat Mansion Models unfortunately overwrite the default farmboy & farmgirl models).

I know of one modder who plans to try to make changes to Hamcat's mod but don't know how far he has progressed.

Any of my modifications are free to be used in other projects if they are useful (that is stated in the readme). I also have a lot of Cat Mansion specific artwork (skins, eyes & portraits) & the skin maps.
iryan
Centurion
Centurion

Postby niceguy on Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:04 am

It just flashed for my eyes how a Anime style Tragg would look like, it could probably use the old ones skeleton and animations but would need a new model. Problem is, I don't have the skills or tools needed to accomplish that but maybe someone has. Some npc's that isn't converted by Cat Mansion would also need to be replaced to get a complete Anime feel to the game. For instance, the traditional blacksmith would need to be replaced by a Cat Mansion variant and some of the monsters, like the Seck and skeletons would do fine to make use of Anime style models. The Seck would be an easy task, just put their skins on Cat Mansion models but skeletons would require that new models are created, a lot more complicated thing to do.
niceguy
Centurion
Centurion

Postby iryan on Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:11 am

I'm not sure what you mean about an anime style skeleton. Surely a skeleton's a skeleton, no matter what way you look at it :P . And putting a seck's skin on the Cat Mansion model won't work as the models are constructed completely differently (just compare the bitmaps in objects.dsres with Tankviewer to see what I mean).

I'm compiling a compilation of the three mods, together with improved skins for the npcs. I found out that the Cat Mansion Girls don't have a proper walking animation, which is why they look messed up in the walking npcs in LOU. I changed it to the running animation, not ideal but better than before.

Also I'm experimenting with a hack solution to the LOA armor problem which doesn't involve disabling those armors. It's so simple that there must be an unforseen drawback to it somewhere. Simply it involves substituting an existing armor mesh for the missing ones. The textures are a little messed up, but it seems to work and avoids disabling the armors or experiencing exception errors. This should also work for the helmets as well & should work for Snowfox's goblin model too.

I'll probably place some kids in all the towns (don't you think it's strange that there's no kids at all in Dungeon Siege) as well, since they're easy to do & don't involve much work on conversations (I could easily make the towns more populous except for the hassle of creating conversations for all the extra npcs :wacko: ). Strangely if you only make alterations to only a few regions in a map through a dsres, you don't run into problems with hitches.
iryan
Centurion
Centurion

Postby niceguy on Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:41 pm

iryan wrote: I'm not sure what you mean about an anime style skeleton. Surely a skeleton's a skeleton, no matter what way you look at it :P . And putting a seck's skin on the Cat Mansion model won't work as the models are constructed completely differently (just compare the bitmaps in objects.dsres with Tankviewer to see what I mean).

A anime style skeleton... Imagine crusing through Hovars Folly while fighting skeletons that looks like what the Cat Mansion boys would have for a skeleton if they had one under their flesh. Doing this would however require that someone create a new skeleton models and that would be hard work.

Cat Mansion Seck, that would probably be a lot easier, thou their mages would have to do without their capes. Just take a farmboy skin, and the seck skin and carefully cut and paste pices from the Seck skin in positions that the farmboy would use, rezie when neccesary. If Seck are used in a specific adventure, like a new variation of the UP map for instance, I would suggest giving them proper armors as well instead of a full body skin, that way they would only need to show their skin on their heads and maybe hands and feets.

Iryan, if you instead to create yet another adventure on the UP map for the anime style world instead of just making an variation of the LOU adventure I suggest something totally different. Do we really have to start in Elddim for instance? Do we really need the townstones quest? DO we really need to fill Hovarts Folly with undead beings or can it be converted to an underground dwarwen town instead?
niceguy
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Witness on Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:56 pm

iryan wrote: Also I'm experimenting with a hack solution to the LOA armor problem which doesn't involve disabling those armors. It's so simple that there must be an unforseen drawback to it somewhere. Simply it involves substituting an existing armor mesh for the missing ones. The textures are a little messed up, but it seems to work and avoids disabling the armors or experiencing exception errors.

Just FYI, A6 is laid out almost identically to A8 texture-wise, so you can substitute the Cat Mansion armor type 6 for armor type 8, and do the same for any other character type. Also, the thessic helmet is nearly identical in shape to helmets 13 and 28 (perhaps a little more like 28, but they're both very similar). The texture mapping may be different, but certainly better than nothing eh?
Last edited by Witness on Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark and Light Elfgirl Mod
- Download v3.0.1.2 beta (i.e. v3.0 beta 1 patch 2)
- Project Site
- Project Thread
witness@siegenetwork.com
Witness
Hero
Hero

Postby iryan on Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:47 am

Type 6 is what I tried. Good to know there's no drawbacks to it apart from the textures being a little distorted.

All I'm going to do is make some minor changes to all the towns (LOU, Ehb & LOA). Creating another adventure on the Up map is rather pointless at this stage. Designing quests & conversations in the current engine is a bit too tedious (especially after having played KOTOR). Hopefully those areas will be vastly improved in DS2.

Instead I'll throw as much into this mod as I can. Any ideas? Currently there's extra skins, hairs, CM half-giants, CM utraeans, probably new portraits for Ehb & LOA characters & the Cat Mansion costume stuff (16 Mb in size currently).
iryan
Centurion
Centurion

Postby iryan on Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:27 am

If anyone's interested, I've uploaded a compilation pack of Hamcat Mods to Filefront; Cat Mansion Plus Pack v1.0 beta (20.16 MB)

Cat Mansion Plus Pack Features
============================
- Two new models replacing the default farmboy & farmgirl models.
- all npcs have new skins & portraits
- about 50 odd new weapons, armors, helmets, shields, boots & gloves
- all new content can be found both in storekeepers & monster drops
- fully compatible with the expansion pack

It combines the Cat Mansion Boys, Girls, Costumes & Cutiegirl mods. Unfortunately there's no Utraean or Half-Giant versions so to maintain compatibility with Regular Dungeon Siege. The LOA armors' textures will be a little messed up & the LOA helmets' won't look anything like what they should look like. I haven't extensively tested it as my time is restricted at the moment. Any feedback or ideas is welcome.
iryan
Centurion
Centurion

Postby niceguy on Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:13 am

I note that that the Cutiegirl silk gloves creates an graphical error while worn by a kimono dressed Cat Masion girl. My suggested fix is to simply remove the silk gloves.

Ideas for your project for the UP map: Try to put some CM specific items on the NPC's. Imagine the waitresses in the inns wearing the maid suit for instance. Or maybe an fully santa dressed NPC, surrounded by happy kids, in Fallraen. Maybe even "arm" some of them with some other equipment like brooms, rulers (throwing weapon) or maybe a frypan...

One question: Does anyone know a dynamic way to resize CM characters? Sure we can resize our PC's and selected NPC's but just load up an unsupported map and you have it full with minature citizens again. If there are no way to fix this, then we have to do it the hard way and that is lot's of work.
niceguy
Centurion
Centurion

Postby iryan on Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:04 am

One question: Does anyone know a dynamic way to resize CM characters? Sure we can resize our PC's and selected NPC's but just load up an unsupported map and you have it full with minature citizens again. If there are no way to fix this, then we have to do it the hard way and that is lot's of work.
The only way I know of dynamically resizing the CM characters is the way I did it in the compilation pack I just released. This'll work in all maps EXCEPT for those maps/mods that change the heroes/npc templates themselves. I only tested the pack myself on LOU/UP, LOA, Ehb & my own test map. It won't work for example in Revived. The only way of making the CM characters resized in all maps is to resize the models themselves, which is undoubtably impossible now that the GMAX files have been lost. Incidentally what maps cause problems with them?

I note that that the Cutiegirl silk gloves creates an graphical error while worn by a kimono dressed Cat Masion girl. My suggested fix is to simply remove the silk gloves.
Noted. Thanks, never noticed that. Not a great loss.
iryan
Centurion
Centurion

Postby niceguy on Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:02 am

iryan wrote: Incidentally what maps cause problems with them?

I tested it in the Diabloish map. There are lot's of maps out there. That's why I was talking about an dynamic way to rezise them but since, as you say, the GMax files are gone, we have to do it the hard way instead. Actually, when I am playing an non standard map, SOME NPC's get the correct size but not all of them. The first time I saw one of thease correctly sized NPC's I belived that one to be a hirable character, and some of the times they are but not always. We will simply have to inform the mappers that their maps would be so much more appreciated if they do those NPC's the right way from the beginning. Further, I have noted that CM characters sometimes are unable to reach an NPC that are behind an object, like bartenderes for instance. This is also something that could be fixed by the mappers if the word got out that the result would be better if those had a slightly longer activation range. I suspect that this problem also occur for some other non standard characters.
Last edited by niceguy on Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
niceguy
Centurion
Centurion

Postby iryan on Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:53 am

The reason the npcs aren't resized properly in Diabloish (and probably all maps that use the original resources) is because I haven't altered the Veteran or Elite characters in this release. Very easily fixed.

I've had normal characters unable to reach npcs, even if there wasn't any obstructing object in the way. One quest npc in LOU caused this problem (Apprentice Pardun in the temple in Fallraen). It was a pathfinding issue which I solved by giving the npc an aspect block with f use_range = 2;
Normally it's 1. Since I'm including the templates of all npcs in the compilation (now to include Veteran & Elite as well), it would be a simple matter to adjust the use range to 2 for all npcs.

I've also got a request from a player through email for an alternative compilation pack of just the character models & skins, not all the extra weapons, armor, etc. Though why you can't just ignore the extra additions I can't imagine. No one is forcing you to use the extra stuff. Any comments?
iryan
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Witness on Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:28 am

iryan wrote:I've also got a request from a player through email for an alternative compilation pack of just the character models & skins, not all the extra weapons, armor, etc. Though why you can't just ignore the extra additions I can't imagine. No one is forcing you to use the extra stuff. Any comments?

I get the same request for my character mod occasionally too :P But, since everyone in a game must have my mod installed for the characters to exist, there's literally no good reason to remove the extras.

...In the case of the original Cat Mansion boy/girl mods, CM only overrode the farmboy and farmgirl, thereby remaining fully compatible with players who don't use the mod. Your compilation removes that compatibility because it includes Cat Mansion Costumes and Cutie Girl mods. My opinion? If the user only wants the models and skins in place so that the mod is "travel-able", let them use the original CM boys and CM girls mods.
Dark and Light Elfgirl Mod
- Download v3.0.1.2 beta (i.e. v3.0 beta 1 patch 2)
- Project Site
- Project Thread
witness@siegenetwork.com
Witness
Hero
Hero

Postby iryan on Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:30 am

I thought it was rather pointless to make a compilation pack with only the models (anyone who knows how to use Tank Viewer & Tank Creator can easily remove the equipment by removing the interactive folder from the mod. I told the player this in my reply). I'll have to highlight the fact that all users now require the mod installed in order to play online in the readme.

I'm going to limit many of the armors to females only. It'll stop weird looking farmboys running around making a fool of themselves :P. Plus there's a potential problem if a farmboy (or dwarf) tries to equip one of the Hair Ribbons (it's actually a head replacement). Though I've not tried it (undoubtably someone was silly enough to somewhere/sometime).

Has anyone better suggestions for naming the equipment (or knows how to translate the original Japanese names)? I just named them whatever came to mind :D
iryan
Centurion
Centurion

Next

Return to Project Threads