Development of My Little Cthulhu (new PC)

A repository for easy access of the project threads that get started in the Mod Development forum.

Postby Interested2 on Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:24 pm

Recently, I was inspired by a Mind Flayer, from Dungeons and Dragons. I was struck with the idea of how cool it would be in Dungeon Siege, so I modelled something similar, lowered the poly count a lot, finished modelling it, changed the hands, and put it ingame. This is the saga in screenshots of the progress so far. I'll be working on this from time to time, but don't expect regular updates. It's just a little thing I'm doing for fun.

This is the first, mid-polycount version of the head. It's about 1200 polys (you can see a bigger view here.

So I optimized it, and began texturing. As I'm not very good with textures, I took the farmboy skin 001 and heavily modified it for the flayer head, so as to preserve the lighting on the texture.

At this point, I felt it was ready to go into Dungeon Siege. I made it as a custom head for the farmboy, as shown here.

Looking closely at the model once it was ingame, something immediately popped out at me - the hands. The hands are nothing like the clawed stranglers hands they should be. So, I set out to re-model the hands and put them on. Here is a shot of the new model with the hands in the character creation screen.

Here is a shot of my little Cthulhu using a Hoe against a Krug, from the start of Ehb. Notice the hands, and that I textured in nails as well.

At this point, I tried to bone and animate the tenticles. However, the engine apparently didn't like me doing this, and repeatly threw seemingly random errors at me. So, I decided on not animating the tenticles, but I changed their positioning to look more realistic. Also note the new monk-type tunic.

Here's where I started working on armor. First off, armor meshes are a major, major pain. You have to re-weigh the vertices for each armor mesh. Here is a2 as it was initially completed. If you look closely, you can see that it looks as though it has grown breasts. This is bad, and meant I had weighed the chest bones incorrectly.

Here is where the project currently stands. All animations work perfectly with him, and he can wear armors a1 and a2, as well as boots. The error in the chest has been fixed here.

I hope to get gloves working next, and then move on to a3.
Last edited by Interested2 on Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interested2
Hero
Hero

Postby Shocked on Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:27 pm

Looks good Int
Shocked
Champion
Champion

Postby Lone Knight on Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:46 pm

It looks awesome! Keep it up!
Unknown wrote:It remains to be seen if DS can rise back from its ashes and dissociates from DS2 and GPG.

Dungeon Siege Forever
Lone Knight
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Solstheim's Werewolf on Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:58 pm

Hey I could skin that for you but I need the mesh 'layout' first.

Looking great! :thumbup:
Solstheim's Werewolf
Warder
Warder

Postby Interested2 on Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:05 pm

Do you mean skin as in texture, or skin as in rig?
Interested2
Hero
Hero

Postby Solstheim's Werewolf on Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:06 pm

Texture, dunno what a rig is :blink:
Solstheim's Werewolf
Warder
Warder

Postby Interested2 on Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:09 pm

Ah. Well, whats your email, I'll send you the UVW's.

(rig is re-weighing verticies, which is sometimes refered to as "skin" because the modifier in the gmax stack for it is called "skin")
Interested2
Hero
Hero

Postby Solstheim's Werewolf on Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:11 pm

elfcup@comcast.net

(Don't ask why I called it that :wacko: )
Last edited by Solstheim's Werewolf on Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solstheim's Werewolf
Warder
Warder

Postby Duo on Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:15 pm

Lmao at the title of the thread. Looking good Int2.
Username: Duo
Duo
Champion
Champion

Postby Thelzidra on Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:35 pm

Brings back memories of Eye of the Beholder 2, those damned things were a pain in my rear (shudders at the memory). Have to say it looks really good though, can't wait to try it out. :thumbup:
Thelzidra
Warder
Warder

Postby Interested2 on Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:53 am

Sent, werewolf. ^_^
Interested2
Hero
Hero

Postby SinfulGrace on Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:17 am

This reminds me of the one red thing in Morrowind. The thing the swims in the water, can't remember it's name. :blink:

Looks good Int2! :thumbup: It would be kickass black or red. Or both. :D
Last edited by SinfulGrace on Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
SinfulGrace
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Postby Solstheim's Werewolf on Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:19 am

SinfulGrace wrote: This reminds me of the one red thing in Morrowind. The thing the swims in the water, can't remember it's name. :blink:

It's a Dreugh :rolleyes:
Solstheim's Werewolf
Warder
Warder

Postby Xaa on Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:43 am

Interested2 wrote: At this point, I tried to bone and animate the tenticles.  However, the engine apparently didn't like me doing this, and repeatly threw seemingly random errors at me.  So, I decided on not animating the tenticles, but I changed their positioning to look more realistic.  Also note the new monk-type tunic.

1) Right-click the head-bone in Siege-MAX
2) Select the "User Properties" tab.
3) Delete the information there.
4) Add bones, use "Merge Animation" to create a new base animation set for the mob.
5) Make the tentacles wiggle in all the animations.
6) Export mesh and animations.
7) Done.
Last edited by Xaa on Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xaa
250 Pound Carnivorous Samurai Mouse

Postby Killermondodude on Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:12 am

Int will you also be doing custom Psionic spells for him to "Crush your mind with" (spoken like kids in the hall)
i dont get even i get odd

Normalcy is the casteration of creativity

if 1+1 equals 2 and Us minus me leaves you so does me minus leaves leave us in the trees with nothing better to do?

(* Legal Disclaimer )
i will thank you beforehand for your first ammendmant right to free speech in the critique of my offensiveness and i hope you can endure the return ridicule that said bitching about the offenisity of my offensive offense that continues to offend you will cause
And if you disagree with me think like I and youll try to see what can be in the land of the spensive cause im to cheep to be free

Thank you and good Not quite evening of yesterdays tomorrow twilighted duskness
Killermondodude
Champion
Champion

Next

Return to Project Threads