Recently, I was inspired by a Mind Flayer, from Dungeons and Dragons. I was struck with the idea of how cool it would be in Dungeon Siege, so I modelled something similar, lowered the poly count a lot, finished modelling it, changed the hands, and put it ingame. This is the saga in screenshots of the progress so far. I'll be working on this from time to time, but don't expect regular updates. It's just a little thing I'm doing for fun.
This is the first, mid-polycount version of the head. It's about 1200 polys (you can see a bigger view here
So I optimized it, and began texturing. As I'm not very good with textures, I took the farmboy skin 001 and heavily modified it for the flayer head, so as to preserve the lighting on the texture.
At this point, I felt it was ready to go into Dungeon Siege. I made it as a custom head for the farmboy, as shown here.
Looking closely at the model once it was ingame, something immediately popped out at me - the hands. The hands are nothing like the clawed stranglers hands they should be. So, I set out to re-model the hands and put them on. Here is a shot of the new model with the hands in the character creation screen.
Here is a shot of my little Cthulhu using a Hoe against a Krug, from the start of Ehb. Notice the hands, and that I textured in nails as well.
At this point, I tried to bone and animate the tenticles. However, the engine apparently didn't like me doing this, and repeatly threw seemingly random errors at me. So, I decided on not animating the tenticles, but I changed their positioning to look more realistic. Also note the new monk-type tunic.
Here's where I started working on armor. First off, armor meshes are a major, major pain. You have to re-weigh the vertices for each armor mesh. Here is a2 as it was initially completed. If you look closely, you can see that it looks as though it has grown breasts. This is bad, and meant I had weighed the chest bones incorrectly.
Here is where the project currently stands. All animations work perfectly with him, and he can wear armors a1 and a2, as well as boots. The error in the chest has been fixed here.
I hope to get gloves working next, and then move on to a3.