Connecting to #siegetheday with mIRC

Want to see something featured at this site? Found a broken link? Saw some incorrect data listed? Like or hate the current content? Post about it here.

Postby Witness on Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:41 pm

Since Wynne is not available to make the tutorials for the chat event, I suppose I have to pick up the slack; This is an introductory connection guide for new mIRC users.

By default, when you launch mIRC, you will see a shareware/trialware notice and then the following Options panel dialog window automatically open up.
1. Full Name: just fill in anything you'd like, this field is not important, but it must be set
2. Email Address: just specify a fake or real email address, this is publicly accessible information while you are online, so a fake entry is recommended.
3. Nickname: this is your screen/account name while logged in
4. Alternative: this is an alternative screen/account name automatically used in the case that your desired Nickname is already in active use or registered to another user
5. When you are done specifying those basic login details, click the OK button.

If you want to change this information later, you can access the Options dialog window through the Tools > Options menu option.
Dark and Light Elfgirl Mod
- Download v3.0.1.2 beta (i.e. v3.0 beta 1 patch 2)
- Project Site
- Project Thread
witness@siegenetwork.com
Witness
Hero
Hero

Postby Witness on Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:42 pm

Now, you will be presented with a blank Status window. Type /server irc.gamesurge.net at the prompt line, and press ENTER to begin connecting to the server.
Last edited by Witness on Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Project Site
- Project Thread
witness@siegenetwork.com
Witness
Hero
Hero

Postby Witness on Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:43 pm

Connecting may take a few moments, but you will see some connection status messages appear in the Status window while this is happening. The title of the Status window indicates your the connection status to the server.
Last edited by Witness on Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Project Site
- Project Thread
witness@siegenetwork.com
Witness
Hero
Hero

Postby Witness on Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:47 pm

You will have successfully logged onto one of the irc.gamesurge.net servers when the title in the Status window reads "Nickname on GameSurge". Type /join #siegetheday in the prompt line and press ENTER.
If your desired nickname is already taken, the server may automatically change it to a random/numbered guest name or ask you to change your name immediately. To change your current nickname at any time, type /nick NewNickname, where NewNickname should be substituted with your new desired nickname.
Last edited by Witness on Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Project Site
- Project Thread
witness@siegenetwork.com
Witness
Hero
Hero

Postby Witness on Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:51 pm

A new channel window will open up. The right column contains a list of users currently in the channel. You can double click a user name to open up a private messaging window. The left contains the chat text. Text colors can be customized, but by default, notices appear in brown, status messages appear in green, and regular chat text itself appears in black.
1. Names of channel operators are prefixed an @ sign. Operators manage channel activities.
2. Names of "voiced" channel users are prefixed with a + sign. When the channel is in restricted chat mode, voiced users and channel operators are the only ones who can "speak" in the channel.
3. All the status, channel, and private message windows are accessible from this bar, which can be dragged and docked vertically or horizontally.
4. To chat, type your messages in the prompt line.
- Project Site
- Project Thread
witness@siegenetwork.com
Witness
Hero
Hero

Return to Site Discussion