Rise of Lord Athr'a

A repository for easy access of the project threads that get started in the Mod Development forum.

Postby Dragon Tail on Sun May 30, 2004 7:38 pm

Well, I've been working for a while on my new map. I call it the Eleria map, since it is based on my story character Eleria and the main quest is to rescue her, but the actual map name will be "Rise of Lord Athr'a." I've spent time learning, and am still learning, how to properly map using the SE, and although it gives me nightmares I'm intent on making a fun and usable map.

The most basic story line is Eleria has been sent on a quest to stop the rise of the dark lord Athr'a, but has been captured by one of his more powerful minions and is being held in a deep castle dungeon. Your job as a hero is to follow that quest and rescue her, then proceed to help her eliminate Athr'a's armies.

The map is turning out to be huge, and should satisfy your questing and hacking needs for many, many hours. Currently I have completed 3 town areas (and the paths between) but there are 19 more to go before completion. There are multiple paths, and shortcuts, to different areas of the world, and a hub of sorts to help make questing easier. Many of the paths include several mini paths, each with their own attributes. If you are a "kill everything" type of player you will be very busy. I'm working on fleshing out the Underground Caverns right now, which don't include any towns but are a maze of twisting, intersecting caverns that traverse under a portion of the main map. They are basically a mini map of their own, and are currently at 10,000 plus nodes. I'm hoping to have this project mostly done by the end of summer, if there aren't too many hiccups.

Soon I'll have a website up with highlights, and a demo download, at http://www.eleria.net (not yet though). I'm listing this here, since I'm not sure where I should and this area is where I post the most. I hope you all will be interested in the map, and find it enjoyable. I'm doing this project by my lonesome, and am concentrating on providing a high quality map where everything works well. I do want to thank Monsoon for helping with a summon spell that I unfortunately don't think I'll be using (can't join other games while it's in the resource folder), I'm making this map so it won't interfere with other maps. Oh, it's also an expansion map and uses expansion features. All critters are customized for the locations.

I'll post some screen shots here, and will post some more as it builds if you're interested. I know Cyberatog will play it, but will anyone else?

Heh. So, see below for 'coming soon' :P

DT

First screenie, a shot near Tesh:
Last edited by Dragon Tail on Sun May 30, 2004 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life was easier when the world was flat
The Blue Fairy Realm
Eleria map thread
Rise of Lord Athr'a
Dragon Tail
Warder
Warder

Postby Dragon Tail on Sun May 30, 2004 7:44 pm

A nice little cottage getaway:

Following the southern ridge:

A cave full of Rock Nargs:

A small problem with spiders:

More to come...
The Blue Fairy Realm
Eleria map thread
Rise of Lord Athr'a
Dragon Tail
Warder
Warder

Postby Dragon Tail on Sun May 30, 2004 7:49 pm

Rock Nargs practice throwing arrows:

Tree Skags throw bombs:

A couple shots of the town of Tesh:

Last edited by Dragon Tail on Sun May 30, 2004 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Blue Fairy Realm
Eleria map thread
Rise of Lord Athr'a
Dragon Tail
Warder
Warder

Postby Cyberatog on Sun May 30, 2004 7:50 pm

Am I that obvious? :P

Tell me of the starting monsters! PLEASE PLEASE!! :woot:

*I love monsters*
Today's thought:
Freedom is boring! Tyrrany! Dictation! Two-party system! Scream the words of change!

(The "two-party system" joke was added last when I found it fun after babbling up the words for dictatiorship, a nice touch)

Evidence why Peter Jackson is NOT a tyrant
Why we dont have magic in our world
To arms! To arms!
Krug hip-hop!
Cyberatog
Champion
Champion

Postby Dragon Tail on Sun May 30, 2004 7:59 pm

Fun in the Nexus (the Hub):

A calm shady spot in the Underground Caverns:

Entering the Underground Caverns:

Fun in the forest:

What could they want?:

Fun on the way to Fairwyn:

At least it's out of the sun:

That's all for now, will have more soon...
The Blue Fairy Realm
Eleria map thread
Rise of Lord Athr'a
Dragon Tail
Warder
Warder

Postby Dragon Tail on Sun May 30, 2004 8:21 pm

Am I that obvious? 

Tell me of the starting monsters! PLEASE PLEASE!! 

*I love monsters*

Heh, yeah, you are! All the monsters, so far, are based on the regular ones but are tweaked to fit the map in new styles. There are no krug in the map, but there are Nargs, which are based on them. Rock Nargs have a pebbly skin with a green sash, are much meaner than the old krug, and they leave if they are hurting so they can heal. Skags come in a variety, Tree Skags, Cave Skags, and Marsh Skags. Some Tree Skags have learned how to throw bombs with deadly accuracy, and will often resurrect their fallen comrades. There are also specter gargoyles, but they only live in crypt and dungeon areas. They are similar to their stone cousins, but sometimes carry weapons and fire lightning bolts.

You start out fighting off bandits and their hounds, plus a few troublesome spiders, and progress from there. I expect to include new monsters for each region, and there are roughly 70 regions scheduled. I may build entirely new critters as well once I learn more in 3d graphic design (I have TrueSpace 3D).

The map is built for single and multiplayer. There are hirables along the way to help in your quest, and there are set quests. The higher level areas will require keys to access, but you won't need a key until after the first 6 or 7 towns. All the doors open well, the roofs fade and moods change properly. Some characters will give you special items, such as a custom sword or bow. There are jewelers as well who sell primarily rings and amulets. I put fish in the ponds, but that's useless since you need to zoom all the way in just to catch a glimpse. There are hidden areas and paths too, so the replay value should be high.
The Blue Fairy Realm
Eleria map thread
Rise of Lord Athr'a
Dragon Tail
Warder
Warder

Postby sol77 on Sun May 30, 2004 9:46 pm

Looks very promising. :thumbup:
SiegeTheDay
----------------------------
Siegecore
Herena Forge
sol77
Champion
Champion

Postby Mud on Mon May 31, 2004 2:10 pm

Very nice and well done work, DragonTail :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I hope all goes well and I will be playing it asp :rolleyes:
Mud,Leader of DS realm for Guild Medieval.
http://www.guildmedieval.com
Mud
Lurker

Postby Solarus on Mon May 31, 2004 2:54 pm

Two things, DragonTail. For adding new mods, you could ask xaa about how to make a shortcut that takes its files from a folder in the Dungeon Siege folder. The second thing was, I could help you with reskinning the hub plates so they actually say Nexus on them.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

"When you're heading nowhere, you're already there."

Have any comments? Suggestions? Death threats?
e-mail me at techos.rule@verizon.net

Solarus
Warder
Warder

Postby Cyberatog on Mon May 31, 2004 3:07 pm

Solarus wrote: Two things, DragonTail. For adding new mods, you could ask xaa about how to make a shortcut that takes its files from a folder in the Dungeon Siege folder. The second thing was, I could help you with reskinning the hub plates so they actually say Nexus on them.

Thats not really fun- think that when your character returns to the regular LoA, he will lose all the new items he has gathered there that isnt available in LoA.
Today's thought:
Freedom is boring! Tyrrany! Dictation! Two-party system! Scream the words of change!

(The "two-party system" joke was added last when I found it fun after babbling up the words for dictatiorship, a nice touch)

Evidence why Peter Jackson is NOT a tyrant
Why we dont have magic in our world
To arms! To arms!
Krug hip-hop!
Cyberatog
Champion
Champion

Postby Danath Farrence on Mon May 31, 2004 5:05 pm

Looks awesome. :thumbup: Another map to add to my interminable list of "to play soon".I want free time..... :(
Danath is reborn once again to take revenge.Beware my enemies.....
Rage of Mages forever!
Danath Farrence
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Dragon Tail on Mon May 31, 2004 6:00 pm

Thanks for the good mentions, I'm working on it. I just finished up a section of the crypts that leads to the next town, it's a 1800+ node room that turned out kinda challenging. Works nice though, so it's on to Nessa Coast...

Thats not really fun- think that when your character returns to the regular LoA, he will lose all the new items he has gathered there that isnt available in LoA.

This is along the lines of my thinking too. I created a separate folder and link so the game would play with the special spell mod, but that limits you to just that game without having to restart. I want players to be able to login to zm and hop from a UP game to mine, or vice versa as long as they have the map. I don't want someone loosing all their items because they used the character in a different map, that's no fun. I'm trying to avoid anything that would interfere with other maps, so all my npc's, evils, and special items are in separate gas files and have unique handles so I can tweak them without messing up someone else's work. I'd love to have a skin that makes the teleport pads say 'Nexus' though, that would be a nice touch!
:thumbup:

Oh, I should also mention that I'm trying to balance all the monsters to the map in all aspects. This isn't an exp mod nor will it give you an advantage over players without the map. It's completely legit. Your character will level well though, since there is an abundance of things to hone your sword edge on.
Also, when complete, the map should advance your character (playing from beginning to end) from level 0 to above veteran level, since it will be roughly twice the size of UP. If I'm able I hope to add veteran and elite levels too.
Last edited by Dragon Tail on Mon May 31, 2004 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Blue Fairy Realm
Eleria map thread
Rise of Lord Athr'a
Dragon Tail
Warder
Warder

Postby gurian on Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:33 pm

Can you import characters from current DS games?
I'll play either way - Looks great! :woot:

http://www.guildmedieval.com
gurian

Postby Dragon Tail on Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:50 pm

Yep, you should be able to use any ds or dsloa character, but other mods or hacks may cause it to crash, I don't know since I don't support them. I'm building it to be compatible with out-of-the-box dungeon siege expansion. There will be a few special items that travel only if you have the resource file, and preferrably are host.

The method I suggest is to start the map with a new character and follow the quest path (or not) to get the most enjoyment from it. You can start multiplayer with a higher level character, but won't be able to access the higher level areas without special keys found in the map. Once it is done though I hope to add veteran and elite play so you could start with your powerful character and still have fun.

Note: You don't have to follow the quest path, there are multiple ways to reach various areas. Some areas, however, will only be reachable after you obtain the keys.
The Blue Fairy Realm
Eleria map thread
Rise of Lord Athr'a
Dragon Tail
Warder
Warder

Postby Solarus on Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:56 pm

This is looking to be an awesome mod, Dragon Tail - nice work!

[edit]
I also seriously recommend making mods for it, you have awesome ideas :thumbup:
Last edited by Solarus on Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

"When you're heading nowhere, you're already there."

Have any comments? Suggestions? Death threats?
e-mail me at techos.rule@verizon.net

Solarus
Warder
Warder

Next

Return to Project Threads