Importing Single Player Parties to New SP Maps

Any questions and discussions about authoring mods are welcome here. Also, feel free to let people know about mod-related resources, to request mods or post mod ideas.

Postby TomCat39 on Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:41 pm

I'm wondering if their is a way to make a single player party be transferable to another single player map.

How much work would be involved to do something like this? Would it need an external utility or would it be possible to do with standard DS modding techniques?

I would think finding a solution for this would be of great benefit to map makers and modders alike. It would allow one to make veteran and elite style single player maps. Including making Ehb have veteran monsters and then elite monsters. And make possible expansions to single player campaigns, allowing multiple smaller downloads instead of one giant map download.

Just some thoughts that I think would be a great plus for everyone if they are able to be expanded upon beyond my questions.

:unsure:
ImageDeath is Inevitable.ImageIf the map is done right.Image
TomCat39
Retired Moderator

Postby Witness on Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:01 pm

Posted in the site's news section last week:

Q: "How do I take my single-player party and move them to a single-player version of the MP world? I don't want to give up my old friends!"

A: Download the Dungeon Siege Toolkit. Inside you will find the DEVELOPMENT CONSOLE. It is DSMod.exe. This is how you do it.

[*]Run DSMOD.exe.
[*]Load your last save of your old party. Hit Ctrl+S, and type in the following for the name of the savegame: TRANSFER
[*]Exit, and start a new game with a new character WITH THE NAME OF YOUR PREVIOUS PARTY LEADER.
[*]Hit the tilde key (~).
[*]Type this: PARTY LOAD TRANSFER
[*]Hit the tilde key (~) again to exit the console window.
[*]Save the game again, this time naming it like any other ordinary save game. You have now transferred your entire single-player party to a new map.

This method should work for transferring a SP party to any other SP map, not just the SP version of the UP map. Oh yea, and the info there was written by Xaa.

<!--EDIT|Witness|Aug 27 2002, 02:02 PM-->
Witness

Postby TomCat39 on Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:06 pm

Boy oh Boy... I'm batting a thousand today heh.

Thanx for the move witness. Was thinking there might be a way to do it with DS coding or something. But with your excellent answer, it shows that it is another thing not fitting for open source lol.

I think I should quit while I'm still ahead. ;)

<!--EDIT|TomCat39|Aug 27 2002, 11:06 AM-->
TomCat39
Retired Moderator

Postby FreaK on Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:10 pm

ehh whats is dsmod.EXE (yes im blond but not a girl)
FreaK
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Postby TomCat39 on Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:19 pm

It's part of the DSTK (Dungeon Siege Tool Kit) and can be gotten off of DS's main site. http://www.dungeonsiege.com
TomCat39
Retired Moderator

Postby Estump on Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:26 am

I have tried this and I cannot get it too work. Too many inconsitencies.

Could someone please throw me a bone
Estump

Postby Estump on Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:29 am

This is my biggest beaf w/ the game, if I could get my team to a new map, I would be overjoyed. So if someone could elaborate a little more on how to do this
Estump

Postby Witness on Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:40 am

I personally have not tried it, but since no one has complained about it not working until now, I just guess it's supposed to work :) Anyway, having covered butt, what are the inconsistencies that are causing you problems?
Witness

Postby TomCat39 on Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:20 am

Alrighty!!! :D

Well I just managed to stumble through it and my fully party including two mules is now at the beginning of my Camera Fixed Ehb map but on hard difficulty since they have some levels to them heh.

A couple of things I noticed. On Ehb you start on a bridge. It won't let you load your party since there isn't enough walkable ground to load the party. Once I moved forward onto the land where there was enough space that seemed to do the trick.

Another thing I noticed. DSmod does not like the saves with the time stamp. To get a save I wanted I had to go into windows explorer and truncate the time stamp so the saved game only had the save name I chose.

Another thing that seem to help is I put savegamename.dssave
Alot of the time I tried without the .dssave it would tell me save game doesn't exist. Yet when I typed party <enter> it showed me it did. The reason I think for using <ctrl> s to save is to keep it from adding that time stamp.

So simply to replay ehb I saved my last save with <ctrl> s and typed in Transfer and hit <enter> to save. I then loaded a new game with my original characters name. Once into the new game of Ehb, I ran forward just a bit to get off the bridge. Then I hit the tilde (~) key and type "party load transfer.dssave" without quotes and it proceeded to load the old party. Then saved it once it was done. Everytime I tried the command on the bridge it kept saying mouse on invalid floor or something like that. That's what inspired me to move to a wider ground area.

Also I don't think you have to make the new game with the name of your original character or any character of your party. I proceeded to load my MP player character. My wifes character. My mules. Once I figured out you have to have the room on the ground where you are standing I could load ANY save game I had except the time stamped ones. And the fix for that is to open explorer and take out any spaces in the save game name.

Hopefully this helps you. I don't think the .dssave is much of an issue as much as the open ground space to place the party around your position in the map.

Regards. B)

<!--EDIT|TomCat39|Aug 27 2002, 09:21 PM-->
TomCat39
Retired Moderator

Postby Xaa on Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:20 am

TomCat39 wrote:Another thing I noticed. DSmod does not like the saves with the time stamp. To get a save I wanted I had to go into windows explorer and truncate the time stamp so the saved game only had the save name I chose.

Yep. That's why I just type "TRANSFER".

Another thing that seem to help is I put savegamename.dssave
Alot of the time I tried without the .dssave it would tell me save game doesn't exist. Yet when I typed party <enter> it showed me it did.

Yah, my bad, I forgot to mention the extension is important in my original post :blink:

<!--EDIT|Xaa|Aug 29 2002, 01:21 AM-->
Xaa
250 Pound Carnivorous Samurai Mouse

Postby FreaK on Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:32 pm

i have an question

is it possibly to put your multi player chac into a single player party??!
FreaK
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Postby TomCat39 on Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:18 pm

Into an existing party no. But you can load your multiplayer character into the beginning of ehb and build up the party by hiring etc etc as you go along. I haven't tested it out but I have loaded my mp characters into ehb single player when I was trying to figure out the details to the party load command.
TomCat39
Retired Moderator

Postby FreaK on Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:23 pm

is it possible to put two multi player charecters in one single player party then??

coz if yes i really want that, i have an fighter and an mage who i think together really rock. i want them to be at the forcees eclipse map(whit the respawm pods), or an other map whit those thingey's :D

so i can train them both at teh same time :D (yes, im very lazy)
FreaK
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Postby TomCat39 on Mon Sep 02, 2002 7:41 pm

As far as I know that would be a negative. Someone may have figured out a way to do such a thing but as far as I know, it's not possible.
TomCat39
Retired Moderator

Postby Locust222 on Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:10 pm

I can't believe it... you know about PARTY LOAD but not about PARTY ADD???

Instead of typing PARTY LOAD (Enter save file or party file here, with extension) type PARTY ADD (Enter save file or party file here, with extension)

examples:

PARTY ADD dungeoncharacter.dssave
PARTY ADD dungeoncharacter.dsparty

And thats it! Just make sure you have suffiecient room for the party members and they will be yours. It's just that easy.
Locust222

Next

Return to Mod Development