Camera-MOD/HACK

Any questions and discussions about authoring mods are welcome here. Also, feel free to let people know about mod-related resources, to request mods or post mod ideas.

Postby Sharkull on Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:42 pm

Note: patch v2.2 is absolutely manditory for this to work. IIRC, prior patches wouldn't recognize user created files as large as the map...
"The only sovereign I can allow to rule me is reason. The first law of reason is this: what exists, exists; what is, is. From this irreducible, bedrock principle, all knowledge is built. This is the foundation from which life is embraced.
Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way of grasping reality - it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
-Terry Goodkind (Faith of the Fallen)
Sharkull
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Rubelicon on Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:08 am

Well I have it working now but I am still at a loss to why my main.gas editing failed? All I changed were the f min_azimuth and f min_distance parameters. I wound up subsituting the main.gas in DS2 World Camera Mod Beta for the one I modified. I take no credit what so ever in this was accomplished using the mod DS2 World Camera Mod Beta that was provided on HerenaForge.

http://herenaforge.org/tiki-file_galleries_rss.php?ver=2

1. goto your Dungeon Siege 2\maps folder. backup your original world.ds2map file. the original file is required to patch your game to a later version, like v2.3 etc.

2. create a new temporary folder. now open your world.ds2map with tankviewer and extract ALL the files inside to the temporary folder. be sure the "use folder names" option is checked. make sure u have at least 2GB of free hard disk space. this operation may take about 10-20 mins (mine took <1min :P > depending on the speed of your hard disk.

3. once extraction is complete. in the temporary folder, goto the world\maps\ds2_world folder. replace the main.gas file with the one from
the zip file.

4. next, run rapid tank creator. in the source field, put in the full path of the temporary folder which u used to extract the files. in the output field, put in the full path of the Dungeon Siege 2 Maps folder and the filename of the map file. Example: i extracted the files to C:\Dungeon Siege 2\temp so i would enter C:\Dungeon Siege 2\temp as the source folder and C:\Dungeon Siege 2\maps\world.ds2map as the output file and path.

5. once its done packing the files, load up the game n play. :)

Big thx to Sharkull and niceguy for trying to help.

/salute
Rubelicon
Lurker

Postby sjr on Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:50 am

Sharkull wrote: Note: patch v2.2 is absolutely manditory for this to work. IIRC, prior patches wouldn't recognize user created files as large as the map...

Actually this is not completely true however you need another ds program that I am not aware that is available for download anywhere.

Creating the ds2map files is exactly the same as it was for ds1map files.
sjr
Moo Cow Disease

Postby esalerno on Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:58 pm

i created my own camera fix and have that problem from DS1 where the fog rolls in very close so i can hardly see anything. i love the camera angles and increased distance but the fog just kills the experience. anybody have a suggestion for getting rid of it?

using DS2.2 and the new SE.

I also modified the moods.gas file after i found the problem with the fog and retanked the whole map but that didn't seem to do anything at all.

BTW. with the retanked map, i didn't need to restart any games my two saved games had the new camera angles (and the annoying fog).

Thanks for any help
esalerno
Lurker

Postby esalerno on Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:56 pm

As to my last post, i figured it out. A copy of my map got copied into my ..\My Games\Maps folder. Just kill that one. Tank a new map with edited fog_..._dist values and good as gold.

BTW, the thing in the main.gas about 0 being the smallest value for min_azimuth is baloney. I set mine to -90.
esalerno
Lurker

Postby Denkkar on Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:22 am

Hi,

Un-tanking and re-tanking stuff takes quite a bit of time, and isn't really very noob friendly. If you want to speed up the process you can try my patch file, it just applies the modified camera settings directly to the binary world map file.

See http://msdl.cs.mcgill.ca/people/denis/Obsolete/ds2patch/

Only works for version 2.2 of course.
Denkkar

Postby ErTo on Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:01 am

-Denkkar-

"...You are the best! We love you! (ErTo's wife)..."

Thank's for fast & easy ultimate solution :P
ErTo

Postby esalerno on Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:55 pm

Denkkar

Thanks for the tips on your mod, i don't mind waiting for the tank and re-tank... if you wouldn't mind, how did you resolve the 'fog' issue? :thumbup:

I did a brute force method on the moods.gas file and a massive 'smart/dumb' search and replace which has affected certain other things. Noteably the graphic that swirls when you teleport is gone now unless i am zoomed out to the maximum distance. Also, i changed the max and min distances, don't know if that is what causes the fog problem.

I would be happy to discuss offline if this isn't the right forum. :blush:

eric
esalerno
Lurker

Postby Lady Femme on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:58 am

if you are having fog issues, you might want to check out iryan's seefar mod which can be dloaded at http://herenaforge.org/tiki-list_file_gall...php?galleryId=2

it says on the camera mod readme that its best used with a seefar mod :P or has no one bothered to view the readme?

however, if u use the seefar mod, beware of a bug with the mines of kalrathia elevator refusing to appear after destroying the 4 statues. to avoid this bug, remove the seefar mod before breaking the 4 statues outside the mines entrance. other than that the seefar mod werx like a charm. everything is much clearer and sharper.
Lady Femme

Postby Guest on Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:09 am

Thanks Lady, haven't gotten that far but when i do i will see if i get the elevator or not ... don't really know how my mod compares to the see far mod. The camera fix does truly rock though! It looks like they also fixed the little problem with negative azimuths from DS I where you could use this to detect secret rooms.

Eric.

Postby BradRinwi on Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:20 am

mod looks great etc BUt i really need rtc2 siege -mod is where all yahoo/dogpile links lead and well you see the problem help

thanks
BradRinwi
Lurker who Speaks

Postby Guest on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:54 pm

Iryan's SeeFar download link is not working

could anyone get a woking download online please? i spend hours to find the seefar mod.

Postby Lady Femme on Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:33 pm

you can get iryan's seefar mod here at herena forge. http://herenaforge.org/tiki-list_file_gall...php?galleryId=2

you will need to register to download files. tank creator 2 can be found here on herena forge. http://herenaforge.org/tiki-list_file_gall...php?galleryId=8
Lady Femme

Postby Guest on Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:02 pm

Thank you Lady Femme, got it !!

Postby Guest on Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:02 pm

Hi,

I just tried following the instructions for un/re-tanking in order to get the camera hack to work, and all I got was the game telling I had no maps.

Now I read all the other posts here and such, and I made absolutely certain that all the files/paths were present in the recompile that were in the original world.ds2map file.

I had no troubles during any of the jobs, but again, no luck in having the game read/recognize the file.

In fact, if I swap out the recompiled file and replace it with the original, the game often still didn't find any maps. A reboot cleared that problem each time, but no matter what I did it would not recognize the presence of the recompiled map file.

I also did this process twice just in case something went wonky the first time that wasn't obvious.

I REALLY want this camera hack working--I had the similar hack in DS1 and I absolutely HATE the default angle.

So, although it appears it is working for others under currently posted instructions, is there any advice on what I could try to get this to cooperate?

Please? ;)

Thanks.

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Development