Darker Shades of Red

A repository for easy access of the project threads that get started in the Mod Development forum.

Postby Eccentricity on Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:58 am

I would like to welcome Chad Myers and Roger Rainville to the DSoR Team. Chad is joining as a C++ coder. Chad is a programmer employed by Red Hat here in Raleigh, NC. Roger is a programmer for IBM here in North Carolina and was one of the developers of OS2 Warp. Welcome aboard guys!
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Eccentricity on Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:39 pm

Cannot connect to this server on my home computers without routing through multiple proxys so I will be unable to post updates here unless I have my IP changed (which I have no intention of bothering with) or the problem is fixed at the server level (which seems equally unlikely). The problem, as far as I can tell (which means definitive), is with the server's iptables ruleset and was not caused by this site. The issue is, apparently, too fortuitous to get support on here so unless SN's host decides to correct it themselves I will not be able to update this thread further. Seems my support request (with attached screenshots) went straight to the recycle bin? :unsure:
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Postby slak on Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:28 pm

nvm found the answer to my question =)
Last edited by slak on Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join #siegetheday and get access to all kinds of luxury.
[13/01|18:34:22] * xmen90s hands over the keys to the private swimming pool

Click here to get started
slak
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Eccentricity on Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:31 pm

Well lets see if I can post from home today with AOL. Yesterday I couldn't. Obviously, I will keep this thread updated if I can connect and post. :P I have a gallery up at http://dsor.net now and I will get the artwork all added within a few days. I would do it all sooner but I have been busy integrating the new cms into iframes.

Edit: YAY! :cheer: Apparently I can post! Maybe, yesterday, I pulled a random AOL IP address which has been banned from here in the past. Dunno. :shrug:
Last edited by Eccentricity on Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Eccentricity on Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:39 am

File Planet is now hosting a 38 minute compilation of non-vocal music from Darker Shades of Red composed by DSoR composer Justin R Durban. The compilation is temporarily playing in the DSoR forums. To download the file just navigate to http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetd...compilation.mp3. The file is 128kbps and is lower quality audio than what will be heard in the game itself but it is still very good. The file is 35.1 MB.

If you insist on a higher quality version the wma version can also be downloaded at File Planet by navigating to this link: http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetd...compilation.wma. The file size is 161MB.

Another compilation consisting of all vocal music will be available soon. Of course, these do not contain a fraction of the total soundtrack but they will give you a good idea of what to expect.
Be sure to right click these links and select "save as" to store them to your hard drive. I hope you enjoy them!

P.S. They were just uploaded as I am posting this so I would give them time to propogate to all of the FilePlanet mirrors.
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Eccentricity on Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:28 am

The vocal music compilation for Darker Shades of Red has been uploaded to FilePlanet. It consists of 5 songs written by DSoR composer JR Durban with vocals by DSoR composer/vocalist Lindsay Klemm.

The file can be downloaded at the URL below. Filesize is 59.1 MB. It is a 320kbps mp3:

http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetd...compilation.mp3

I am uploading the file as of this posting so it will take several hours for the file to propogate to all of the FilePlanet mirrors nationwide.
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Eccentricity on Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:41 am

Just a heads up to DSoR Team members. Please do not bother registering in the project forums just yet. I have decided to get the site off of that abomidable classic ASP Windows server and onto a Linux Box with Apache/php/MySQL support. This will require the installation of a new database. I will transfer the existing members, of course, but it would be far easier if team members wait until the Invision Power Board forum comes online. We will be using a proprietary version of IPB and it should prove a good bit more functional than the half-baked options available for classic ASP. The Linux servers at GameSpy are mostly empty because they do not advertise or push them so we should have very good speed on them too.
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Eccentricity on Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:05 am

A few new models for DSoR. These female models contain 22,649 Polygons and 12,252 vertices which will be well within the ability of DS2 to render on average machines. The models are in 3DS Max format which we are assured of having an exporter for. They are complete with the exception of animation. I will post one nude model here to show detail since her "parts" are tactfully covered in this shot. To see the uncovered versions you can view them on the DSoR site after I post them:

Edit: Nah..I removed it. Don't wanna get you young guys too worked up. :P

Farmgirl better move over....

You can expect to see some nice animations for these models in DSoR :evil: (take that however you will) including all facial animations. The 2nd character from the top is a bonus character and getting her won't be easy. Her base model will be nude so please be sure to buy her a nice dress! :evil: I am downloading yet another model as we speak. She looks pretty hot too but not as hot as this one...

Last edited by Eccentricity on Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Eccentricity on Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:19 pm

OK the site is now on a dedicated Linux Box at GameSpy and off that garbage Windows/ASP "thing". It is generating pages like 21 times faster now that it is off the shared cluster and has no pop up ads. Seems GameSpy hasn't made the effort to add popups to their Linux boxes since no one is using them. We got the whole server to ourselves. I have the new forums up and running. Went with the new phpBB forums. They just looked better inside the IFrame. I would appreciate it if all project members would register. The link in my signature is still valid and I have already redirected the 4 domain names to there as well. The site can be reached via the following urls:

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~dsor/

http://www.dsor.net

http://www.overtheedge.us

http://www.siege-mods.com

http://www.themodplanet.com
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Helios on Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:15 am

Those models are good, and they may be renderable, but wouldnt the loading times be through the roof with that amount of polys?
Helios
Explorer
Explorer

Postby Eccentricity on Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:54 am

Helios wrote: Those models are good, and they may be renderable, but wouldnt the loading times be through the roof with that amount of polys?

Load Times? You don't have to download them, they are on the hard drive. As for lag, no. Those characters will run quite nicely, even in DS1, on a mid range to decent machine. That character actually has fewer vertices than the character in the Chinese mod. All that aside, however, the min specs for DSoR currently stand at 3.06 GHZ, 512MB of RAM, and minimum 128MB video card. We start moving content in-game in May but we are not projected to ship until early 2007 for Chapter One. Subsequent Chapters will ship considerably faster since most of the base coding and node work will be complete. 3.06GHZ is not unreasonable min specs for 2007. Depending upon CPU advancements in the meantime, the specs could be pushed even higher. If Intel ships CPU's with the Prescott Core before then you can count on it. I am guessing single CPU's should have broken the 5 GHZ barrier by completion. That will make 3GHZ machines quite affordable by then.

Correction: I see that Prescott shipped around Super Bowl time. Too bad they aren't available in Xeons yet. :(
Last edited by Eccentricity on Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Postby SnowFox on Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:39 am

I think the models look really nice, but I don't think you should bargain on DS2 having morphable meshes (character facial animations). And for that matter, it might not be having bump maps either (lip creases).

Aside from that, I think this project will definately be eagerly awaited.
View my BLog @ HerenaForge
Download Chronicles Prelude here and post comments etc. here.
Download Chronicles Prelude readme
Details about Chronicles Volume 1 here.
SnowFox
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Postby Eccentricity on Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:53 am

SnowFox wrote: I think the models look really nice, but I don't think you should bargain on DS2 having morphable meshes (character facial animations). And for that matter, it might not be having bump maps either (lip creases).

Aside from that, I think this project will definately be eagerly awaited.

We aren't banking on much of anything just yet. We would like to animate her face, obviously, but then I have a million "I wants" at this stage. Once production starts in May I'll see how much of my "want list" can be fulfilled. Facial animations would not suprise me though considering a lot of NPC's are voiced.
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Eccentricity on Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:46 pm

A lot of what we can and cannot do will be posted here over time. We are willing to push the envelope to an extent but not to an extent that will significantly delay the release of chapter one. Once chapter one has shipped and the base building is mostly behind us then we will look at implementing more features that we may not have time for in the initial release.
Old Has-Been
Eccentricity
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Ulfman on Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:02 pm

Wow, she's purty! :thumbup:

I'd love to see that gal doing some karate on a beastie. My question is this: the model is fairly high poly, and the mesh is GREAT with almost photo realistic musculature and features.

What keeps it from being like a Roger Rabbit situation? Real life gal in toontown kinda thing? Unless the plan is to create a backdrop with equally high poly count.

This mod would be worth upgrading my video card for!!! ^_^
Ulfman
Centurion
Centurion

PreviousNext

Return to Project Threads