Dark Elf

A repository for easy access of the project threads that get started in the Mod Development forum.

Postby Witness on Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:36 pm

Xaa wrote: You have to fiddle with the thickness of the boot so it will cover the faces of the leg and not show through when the camera is zoomed out and yet still look okay in-game, and that is not as easy as it sounds.  Not at all.

After making a few attempts at it last night, I would also like to add that distortion of the thigh on the darkelf girl makes mid-thigh boots using the "cover the faces" technique doubly difficult. By the time you're done accounting for the distortion from the regular running animation, your boot looks oddly curved at the top, like some bad futuristic fashion statement (okay, maybe that had something to do with the neon colors I used for the test boot skin). :P Also, adding vertices in the mid-thigh area proved to be tricky as well; weighing these vertices so that her femur didn't look broken in certain animated positions was beyond my patience... (of course, looking broken isn't much of a problem in the character creation menu or if you hide all those leg polys when boots are on)

I thought of an alternative method - theoretically simple but requires precision - though, and initial trials seem to suggest that it could work and open up a number of possibilities at the same time, but I will have to get back to you a little later on the final results.
Last edited by Witness on Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark and Light Elfgirl Mod
- Download v3.0.1.2 beta (i.e. v3.0 beta 1 patch 2)
- Project Site
- Project Thread
witness@siegenetwork.com
Witness
Hero
Hero

Postby Witness on Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:02 am

I accidentally semi-fubared my Dark Elf female skins yesterday, so I figured that this was the right time to switch to the Light Elf female skins. I put the thigh high boots on hold so that I could work on the second body/armor model.

Light Elf girl says, "hi":

Elfgirl wearing the new A2 armor model with armor texture a2_048 from the original DS and the second boot style:
Okay, the midriff slit is a bit much, but it makes the armor model "cuter".
- Project Site
- Project Thread
witness@siegenetwork.com
Witness
Hero
Hero

Postby Xaa on Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:09 am

Witness wrote: Okay, the midriff slit is a bit much, but it makes the armor model "cuter".

Welcome to the wonderful world of Limited Character Face Skin Selections. We hope you enjoy your stay, but you may wish to scroll back about a year in the lists for LoH posts to get an idea of the incredible amount of crying, whining and screaming you are going to get regarding it. :P

Oh - and if you need help with any skrits to make the armor styles automatically switch to appropriate textures for dark-light when characters swap armor, let me know. :thumbup:
Last edited by Xaa on Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xaa
250 Pound Carnivorous Samurai Mouse

Postby Witness on Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:26 am

Xaa wrote:Welcome to the wonderful world of Limited Character Face Skin Selections. We hope you enjoy your stay, but you may wish to scroll back about a year in the lists for LoH posts to get an idea of the incredible amount of crying, whining and screaming you are going to get regarding it.

Oh - and if you need help with any skrits to make the armor styles automatically switch to appropriate textures for dark-light when characters swap armor, let me know. 

Thanks, the "revealing" skin locations (midriff, legs, underwear) are actually designated as a third submaterial in the mesh itself, so the armor texture was a straight up DS raw file (presented with major uv mapping changes, of course). That way, I don't have to mess with any armor textures, but I am limited to the skin color represented by the third submaterial. If you know how I can specify what the third submaterial is in the hero template specialization, I'm all ears :smilewinkgrin: Otherwise, I'll have to re-save the meshes for the darkelf and light elf separately with the third submaterial being the only difference...

As for faces, I'm too hooked on gmax to spare much time for making additional faces at the moment, heh.
Last edited by Witness on Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Project Site
- Project Thread
witness@siegenetwork.com
Witness
Hero
Hero

Postby sjr on Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:38 am

Witness wrote: Light Elf girl says, "hi":

Okay, the midriff slit is a bit much, but it makes the armor model "cuter".

She looks pretty stylin' to me. :D
sjr
Moo Cow Disease

Postby Xaa on Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:55 am

Witness wrote: If you know how I can specify what the third submaterial is in the hero template specialization, I'm all ears :smilewinkgrin:

Yep. The Nightmare Robe in LoH uses texure swapping when different races wear it. Send me an e-mail and I'll send you the annotated dev code.

And yes, you want the annotated dev code, not what's in the release tanks. What's in the tanks looks like this:

property bool _server_only$ = false; property string race1$ = ""
doc = ""; property string race1_texture$ = "" doc = ""; property string
race2$ = "" doc = ""; property string race2_texture$ = "" doc = "";
property string race3$ = "" doc = ""; property string race3_texture$ = ""
doc = ""; property string race4$ = "" doc = ""; property string
race4_texture$ = "" doc = ""; property string race5$ = "" doc = "";
property string race5_texture$ = "" doc = ""; property string race6$ = ""
doc = ""; property string race6_texture$ = "" doc = ""; owner =
GoSkritComponent; go item$; GoID MyItem$; GoID MyChar$; SFxSID
active_effect$ = 0; eWorldEvent eclone$; string MyString$ = ""; string
temp$; startup state Idle$ { Event OnGoHandleMessage$(eWorldEvent
e$, WorldMessage msg$) { If (e$ == WE_EQUIPPED) { MyItem$ =
Owner.Go.GoID; MyChar$ = msg$.GetSendFrom; goid Player$; eclone$ =
e$; temp$ = MyChar$.Go.TemplateName; MyString$ = "pc_de_male";
StringTool.AppendF(MyString$, "_%d", MyChar$); if (
GameAuditor.GetDB.GetBool( MyString$ ) == true ) { temp$
= "pc_de_male"; } MyString$ = "pc_le_male"; StringTool.AppendF
(MyString$, "_%d", MyChar$); if ( GameAuditor.GetDB.GetBool( MyString$ )
== true ) { temp$ = "pc_le_male"; } MyString$ = "pc_de_female";
StringTool.AppendF(MyString$, "_%d", MyChar$); if (
GameAuditor.GetDB.GetBool( MyString$ ) == true ) { temp$
= "pc_de_female"; } MyString$ = "pc_le_female"; StringTool.AppendF
(MyString$, "_%d", MyChar$); if ( GameAuditor.GetDB.GetBool( MyString$ )
== true ) { temp$ = "pc_le_female"; } SetState Equipped$; } } } state
Equipped$ { Event OnEnterState$ { if ( MyChar$.IsValid &&
MyChar$.Go.HasAspect ) { GoAspect aspect$ = MyChar$.Go.Aspect; if (
temp$ == race1$ ) { aspect$.SSetCurrentAspectTexture( 1,
race1_texture$ ); } else if ( temp$ == race2$ ) {
aspect$.SSetCurrentAspectTexture( 1, race2_texture$ ); } else if ( temp$
== race3$ ) { aspect$.SSetCurrentAspectTexture( 1, race3_texture$ ); }
else if ( temp$ == race4$ ) { aspect$.SSetCurrentAspectTexture( 1,
race4_texture$ ); } else if ( temp$ == race5$ ) {
aspect$.SSetCurrentAspectTexture( 1, race5_texture$ ); } else if ( temp$
== race6$ ) { aspect$.SSetCurrentAspectTexture( 1, race6_texture$ ); } }
Setstate Idle$; } }

:P
Last edited by Xaa on Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xaa

Postby Witness on Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:54 am

Xaa wrote:Yep.  The Nightmare Robe in LoH uses texure swapping when different races wear it.  Send me an e-mail and I'll send you the annotated dev code.

From the compressed code above, it looks as though aspect$.SSetCurrentAspectTexture( 1, race#_texture$ ); is the particular mechanism you're referring to. Iirc, index 1 is reserved for the armor skins, which can be layered through use of alphas (e.g. shirt + pants), and index 0 is reserved for the face + hair, although armor can reference the former.

My submaterial doesn't show up in a multiplayer save [skins] block, and specifying a bitmap for index 2 doesn't seem to do anything for me... :shrug:
Last edited by Witness on Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Project Site
- Project Thread
witness@siegenetwork.com
Witness
Hero
Hero

Postby Elys on Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:23 am

Woo nice elf :thumbup:
"Naturally, the common people don't want war, but after all, it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag people along whether it is a democracy, or a facist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack or patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country." - Hermann Goering, Hitler's Reich-Marshall at the Nuremberg Trials after WWII -
Elys
Pineapples Goddess

Postby gfb on Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:41 am

Indeed. That is looking incredibly good, Witness. Sorry to hear about the dark elf textures, though, and the trouble with your 3rd sub-material.

BTW, I LOVE the ears. VERY nice work on those. Any chance of getting a close-up on those?
gfb
Champion
Champion

Postby niceguy on Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:22 am

I love this, butyful work Witness I loók forward to the finished mod. :thumbup:

Some of what you talk about here is more then I understand but am I right to presume that the problem is how to allow several skin coulors for skin reveling armors? How did Hamkat solve that problem? As I said in an earlier post I tried the darkelf 2.0 mod with hamkats catmanions mods and the darkelf mod limited the skin selection to Witness darkelf skins. They however worked perfect, eyes blinked, even when wearing helmets and the skin reveling "armors" worked as a charm. I dont know HOW he did it but I guess he somehow filled in the open areas with coulours from the face. Also look at how those underwears look when they are on the ground there are no skin coulors showing unlike in Elys succubus mod. It is to bad that we have no way to communicate with Hamkat, the mod community could really need his help.
Last edited by niceguy on Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
I can also be found here: http://www.siegetheday.org
niceguy
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Xaa on Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:36 pm

Witness wrote: My submaterial doesn't show up in a multiplayer save [skins] block, and specifying a bitmap for index 2 doesn't seem to do anything for me... :shrug:

The game is hardcoded to only save bitmaps 0 and 1. However, through the use of quest bits, you can store the extra data you need, and call any number of bitmaps you wish. SSetCurrentAspectTexture allows any number in the texture index.
Xaa

Postby Solarus on Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:01 pm

Nice work so far, Witness, I like the way its coming out :thumbup:
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

"When you're heading nowhere, you're already there."

Have any comments? Suggestions? Death threats?
e-mail me at techos.rule@verizon.net

Solarus
Warder
Warder

Postby Duo on Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:55 pm

Nice work. :thumbup:

I actually like the Light Elf more than the Dark Elf, and the slit on the armour looks quite neat :smilewinkgrin:
Username: Duo
Duo
Champion
Champion

Postby Witness on Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:58 pm

niceguy wrote:As I said in an earlier post I tried the darkelf 2.0 mod with hamkats catmanions mods and the darkelf mod limited the skin selection to Witness darkelf skins. They however worked perfect, eyes blinked, even when wearing helmets and the skin reveling "armors" worked as a charm.

Did you just say that hamcat's models cause blinking on unsupported textures? That's interesting... :analyze:

niceguy wrote:Also look at how those underwears look when they are on the ground there are no skin coulors showing unlike in Elys succubus mod

My guess is that hamcat used transparencies to hide the revealing surface areas in the ground model, or, if it were a custom armor type, a new ground model would do the trick. Since the ground models are shared by all character types in DS (farmpeople, dwarves, skeletons, etc.) I don't change those (nor am I obligated to create them anew, thankfully).

gfb wrote:BTW, I LOVE the ears. VERY nice work on those. Any chance of getting a close-up on those?

The angle of the screenshot is somewhat deceptive. The ears extend approximately only to the back of the head, not to or past the ponytail as the screenshot suggests.

Xaa wrote:SSetCurrentAspectTexture allows any number in the texture index.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure which texture index to use. I figured it would be 2, since the submaterial is #3, starting from 1, and DS is zero-indexed. Setting it in the template's aspect:textures:# certainly doesn't work in either the hero template or the armor template. I have yet to try it in skrit though.
Last edited by Witness on Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Project Site
- Project Thread
witness@siegenetwork.com
Witness
Hero
Hero

Postby niceguy on Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:38 pm

Hamkats Catmansion mod seems to be deliberatly constructed to support additional modding. I also tried it with the neverwinter nights skin mod and it works there as well. It causes eye blinking where the eyes are supposed to be, if the eyes aren't there then it will look odd with "blinkings" in the skin intead of the eyes. This is true for the cat skins mod that places the eyes under the normal position. As long at as a skin mod doesn't affect the body area, Hamkats own baseskins will be used with the regard of clothing (or lack there of, there is a nude skin as well included) but the actual SKINCOULOR will be created FROM the couloring in the faceskin. As soon as a skin mod do affect the body as the NWN mod does, then i overrides Hamkats own body skins in favor of the added mods skins. I suggest you try thease things out yourself. I think this techniques could be very useful.
Last edited by niceguy on Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can also be found here: http://www.siegetheday.org
niceguy
Centurion
Centurion

PreviousNext

Return to Project Threads