Dark Elf

A repository for easy access of the project threads that get started in the Mod Development forum.

Postby Lokiswaq on Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:34 am

The weather must be really hot in Lineage, Elys :P. She rocks :thumbup:
:: BufUI 2.00 - a GUI panel that displays your active buffs - its story
:: UberUI 0.02 - a GUI enhanchment that shows your uber level in game
:: afaik.gr Under Siege and afaik.gr Under Siege Forums
Lokiswaq
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Bj Rox ur Sox on Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:45 am

Lokiswaq wrote: The weather must be really hot in Lineage, Elys :P. She rocks :thumbup:

no its because sex appeal sells games
no signature
Bj Rox ur Sox
Hero
Hero

Postby Elys on Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:10 pm

Yes BJ, prolly the reason why they made it that way ;)

However this is only one of the "noob" clothes, she may get more "covered" clothes with better armor stuff.

I have some other special screenshots of Lineage but I will put them in another topic because we have enough Hijacked this thread :P :P
Last edited by Elys on Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Naturally, the common people don't want war, but after all, it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag people along whether it is a democracy, or a facist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack or patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country." - Hermann Goering, Hitler's Reich-Marshall at the Nuremberg Trials after WWII -
Elys
Pineapples Goddess

Postby Ulfman on Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:38 pm

Well, looking at the Lineage II screenies of the Dark elf (hubba hubba) and Witness' version, I'd say that Witness has done a remarkable job!

Witness, is there a large increase of polys in the heads that you posted? If you can get that kind of detail with a low poly count that's just amazing. :thumbup:

PS I want to see more Lineage II screenies Elys, please? Uh, purely for research purposes, you understand.....
Last edited by Ulfman on Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ulfman
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Elys on Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:41 pm

Now I created a new thread in Off-Topic section, so we can stop spamming here about Lineage II :P
Last edited by Elys on Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Naturally, the common people don't want war, but after all, it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag people along whether it is a democracy, or a facist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack or patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country." - Hermann Goering, Hitler's Reich-Marshall at the Nuremberg Trials after WWII -
Elys
Pineapples Goddess

Postby Witness on Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:14 pm

Ulfman wrote:Witness, is there a large increase of polys in the heads that you posted?

Faces refer to the the triangles that compose polygons, so there are 1 or more faces for each polygon. When I am in polygon selection mode, the menu readout gives me the face count. When I turn on the polygon counter, it gives me the face count as well...

Anyway, the original farmgirl head (with ponytail) comes out to 182 faces and the entire body 792 faces. I can't get the face count for the alternate farmgirl heads - they were not provided in the art pack and the Elemental SiegeMax import scripts error out when I try to import almost anything...

As noted in the image record for the head model I showed above, the number of faces was 228, which is not an appreciable increase relative to the entire farmgirl model. The second and third heads have 193 and 191 faces respectively, but I haven't added pointy ears (yet), which would bump the facecount by ~12-32 (~6-16 per ear), depending on how detailed I get. The additional resized "bald" farmgirl head I created as a base has 140 faces.

OT, ugh, gmax :bitter: Yesterday, it crashed about 6 times in the span of an hour. Then I found out that if you hide a mesh for more than a few minutes, gmax forgets that it exists and you've lost it for good. If you hide the bones for a while, you will crash the program once you unhide it and then interact with the viewport. I guess they're all tied to the history, which is an apparently very short stack (considering it saves selection actions) and once your hide-action is gone from the history, so is the hidden item...
Dark and Light Elfgirl Mod
- Download v3.0.1.2 beta (i.e. v3.0 beta 1 patch 2)
- Project Site
- Project Thread
witness@siegenetwork.com
Witness
Hero
Hero

Postby SnowFox on Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:17 pm

You have my sympathy as far as gMax messing up files is concerned. It's happened to me plenty of times too. Normally with no warning or reason at all, just whack, your file's corrupted. And normally the one with the most elaborate changes too.

BTW love the dark elf's texture, looking really good. Nice to have some decent looking females in DS after the really ugly versions their art department churned out. The ones near the bottom with the three shots are really nice. Can't wait to see them with hair textures :)
View my BLog @ HerenaForge
Download Chronicles Prelude here and post comments etc. here.
Download Chronicles Prelude readme
Details about Chronicles Volume 1 here.
SnowFox
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Postby Witness on Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:04 am

Baby steps, baby steps... apparently, texture mapping and hair textures aren't my strong point, but I finally managed to get the head into the game, after some hurdles...

Firstly...forgot to weigh one vertex, and this happened...

Then, I poured through about 5 or 6 texture mapping tutorials, and ended up using none of the prescribed techniques... Since it was based on the farmgirl head, I reused some of the mapping from that, and unwrapped the rest manually, piecemeal. I think the final map is nuttier looking than GPG's original...

And then, I noticed that the head models seem deformed a little...although the farmgirl's forehead looks huge in SiegeMax, clipping some of the height and width (which normally makes the farmgirl look rather high-headed and broad-jawed respectively) made the resulting model look like a shrunken head in game. :hey:

Then when I tried to tie the ponytail and the locks of hair framing the face to the pontail bone, I realized that it pulled the mesh backwards toward the bone based on the weighing. Damn. So, now a little miffed, I decided to just "hack" it and compensate for the "deformations" by stretching the model polys in the opposite direction. I'll probably find out about any side effects eventually, meanwhile, her hair wiggles around a little.

But, that and a few more minor grievances dealt with, I finally got it into the game :woot:

And, now, I can move on to figure out how to import, detect the correct substitute head model, and replace open helm meshes correctly or work on the next head model. :unsure:
Last edited by Witness on Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Project Site
- Project Thread
witness@siegenetwork.com
Witness
Hero
Hero

Postby sjr on Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:36 am

Witness wrote: Firstly...forgot to weigh one vertex, and this happened...

Then when I tried to tie the ponytail and the locks of hair framing the face to the pontail bone, I realized that it pulled the mesh backwards toward the bone based on the weighing. Damn. So, now a little miffed, I decided to just "hack" it and compensate for the "deformations" by stretching the model polys in the opposite direction. I'll probably find out about any side effects eventually, meanwhile, her hair wiggles around a little.

Nice looking face at least. :P

Witness: newest member of the beauty school hair design team. :lol:
At least they look different and pretty good to me at least.

So how much do you charge for haircuts? :D
sjr
Moo Cow Disease

Postby Witness on Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:28 am

At least they look different and pretty good to me at least

I'll probably show off a few more hairstyles soon...I'd really like to preserve the difference in look when suited up in armor as well...guess I'll have to see what can be done without driving me bonkers before I say anything else about that...

Looks like dark elf girl's new starvation diet has slimmed her down to more "heroic proportions". She lobbied for less conservative attire, too:

Skirt still needs to be texture-mapped, boots and gloves refitted, body textures redone and remapped, additional armor styles accounted for etc.
Last edited by Witness on Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Project Site
- Project Thread
witness@siegenetwork.com
Witness
Hero
Hero

Postby sjr on Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:26 am

Witness wrote: She lobbied for less conservative attire, too:

That is what I would lobby for her as well. :smilewinkgrin:

Looking good though. Since I can barely draw stick figures I have still stayed away from gmax.
sjr
Moo Cow Disease

Postby Xaa on Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:29 am

Witness wrote: I can't get the face count for the alternate farmgirl heads - they were not provided in the art pack and the Elemental SiegeMax import scripts error out when I try to import almost anything...

I am still beta'ing the importer scripts I have created. If you are interested, please send me an e-mail. ^_^

OT, ugh, gmax :bitter: Yesterday, it crashed about 6 times in the span of an hour.

Most crashes in GMAX are caused by problems with graphics and/or ram. When you run GMAX, make sure you have as few other windows open as possible.

Then I found out that if you hide a mesh for more than a few minutes, gmax forgets that it exists and you've lost it for good.

Nope, it's still there. Right click and select "unhide all". If that fails, go through each of the selection options (vertex, line, face, poly, element) and click the "unhide all" button on each.

I guess they're all tied to the history, which is an apparently very short stack...

This is adjustable in GMAX's settings. My undo/redo history is set for about 900 steps. ;)
Xaa
250 Pound Carnivorous Samurai Mouse

Postby Ulfman on Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:15 pm

Witness wrote:
At least they look different and pretty good to me at least

I'll probably show off a few more hairstyles soon...I'd really like to preserve the difference in look when suited up in armor as well...guess I'll have to see what can be done without driving me bonkers before I say anything else about that...

Looks like dark elf girl's new starvation diet has slimmed her down to more "heroic proportions". She lobbied for less conservative attire, too:

Skirt still needs to be texture-mapped, boots and gloves refitted, body textures redone and remapped, additional armor styles accounted for etc.

Witness, this work is awesome. :thumbup:

Glad she lobbied for the less conservative attire, as well. :smilewinkgrin:

This is now my second favorite thread apart from the pooka pages. I just love seeing how ingenious people like you and Xaa take a concept and actually can make it work in-game. I find it fascinating and am quite envious. Your dark elf version 3.0 is going to be a must-have.
Ulfman
Centurion
Centurion

Postby sol77 on Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:12 pm

How is she comming along?
SiegeTheDay
----------------------------
Siegecore
Herena Forge
sol77
Champion
Champion

Postby Ulfman on Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:35 pm

sol77 wrote: How is she comming along?

I second that. She's wonderful, Witness! B)
Ulfman
Centurion
Centurion

PreviousNext

Return to Project Threads